Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Which laptop would be better for gaming and movie viewing?Follow

#1 Mar 12 2013 at 4:56 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,055 posts
Dell
Windows 8
Waves Maxx Audio
Intel Corei5-3337U Processor
8GB Memory
1TB HDD

or

Acer
Windows 8
Dolby Advanced Audio Enhancement Technology
Intel corei5-3337U with turbo boost
6GB Memory (expandable to 8gb)
500GB HDD

soo which would be a better pick for the purposes intended and why (if possible)?
#2 Mar 12 2013 at 5:20 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,310 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Dell
Windows 8
Waves Maxx Audio
Intel Corei5-3337U Processor
8GB Memory
1TB HDD

or

Acer
Windows 8
Dolby Advanced Audio Enhancement Technology
Intel corei5-3337U with turbo boost
6GB Memory (expandable to 8gb)
500GB HDD

soo which would be a better pick for the purposes intended and why (if possible)?

Don't forget to include the GPU.
#3 Mar 12 2013 at 5:34 PM Rating: Excellent
You would definitely want a laptop with a dedicated GPU, integrated graphics aren't enough for much of anything these days.
#4 Mar 12 2013 at 5:35 PM Rating: Good
**
412 posts
There's already a thread (Recent) about laptops, you should post in there. There are also excellent suggestions.
#5 Mar 12 2013 at 5:37 PM Rating: Default
****
5,055 posts
Wint wrote:
You would definitely want a laptop with a dedicated GPU, integrated graphics aren't enough for much of anything these days.



Im only goin with whats in the box, both laptops are already $700 by themselves lol besides unlike a pc I thought you couldnt just take a video card out of a laptop and put in a new/better one?
#6 Mar 12 2013 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Integrated graphics means it's on the chip with the processor and terrible. Dedicated means it's its own stand-alone card inside the laptop. If you want a laptop to play this game, you should not buy anything with Dell or Acer written on the box.
#7 Mar 12 2013 at 5:58 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
As an aside, those both are sporting Ivy bridge tech so the graphics will likely be Intel® HD Graphics 4000. It's not terrible, but for gaming not optimal. Still, it will play some games. Skyrim didn't run half bad on my Sandy bridge notebook - for whatever reason the optimus didn't launch on its own. Actually took a day or two to figure out what was going on - that's how "decently" it performed.

Still, get something with a Nvidia.
#8 Mar 12 2013 at 6:05 PM Rating: Default
****
5,055 posts
desmar wrote:
Integrated graphics means it's on the chip with the processor and terrible. Dedicated means it's its own stand-alone card inside the laptop. If you want a laptop to play this game, you should not buy anything with Dell or Acer written on the box.



well Ive run plenty of games just fine with integrated graphic cards on PCs (FFXI on a pc that came out a year before it did ran teh game just fine). I dont care if the game looks like its running on alienware hardware as long as it works and theres no slowdown/frame issues because of the card. in otherwords if the laptop is good enough to meet or beat the game boxes system requirements then its good enough for me
#9 Mar 12 2013 at 6:17 PM Rating: Excellent
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
desmar wrote:
Integrated graphics means it's on the chip with the processor and terrible. Dedicated means it's its own stand-alone card inside the laptop. If you want a laptop to play this game, you should not buy anything with Dell or Acer written on the box.



well Ive run plenty of games just fine with integrated graphic cards on PCs (FFXI on a pc that came out a year before it did ran teh game just fine). I dont care if the game looks like its running on alienware hardware as long as it works and theres no slowdown/frame issues because of the card. in otherwords if the laptop is good enough to meet or beat the game boxes system requirements then its good enough for me


FFXI is not a good comparison, that game uses very little GPU power compared with modern games. Whatever you want man, I'm just trying to help out. I should think you could still get a laptop with either an Nvidia or ATI card built in for under $1000.
#10 Mar 12 2013 at 7:03 PM Rating: Default
****
5,055 posts
Wint wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
desmar wrote:
Integrated graphics means it's on the chip with the processor and terrible. Dedicated means it's its own stand-alone card inside the laptop. If you want a laptop to play this game, you should not buy anything with Dell or Acer written on the box.



well Ive run plenty of games just fine with integrated graphic cards on PCs (FFXI on a pc that came out a year before it did ran teh game just fine). I dont care if the game looks like its running on alienware hardware as long as it works and theres no slowdown/frame issues because of the card. in otherwords if the laptop is good enough to meet or beat the game boxes system requirements then its good enough for me


FFXI is not a good comparison, that game uses very little GPU power compared with modern games. Whatever you want man, I'm just trying to help out. I should think you could still get a laptop with either an Nvidia or ATI card built in for under $1000.


well if i can find one i definitely will but were I work those are the most expensive laptop options (and i get an employee discount sooo lol)
#11 Mar 12 2013 at 7:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Not sure what your overall budget is but newegg is great for shopping, if you go to laptopos and select more options on the side bar with the filters, you can pick specific GPUs with it. This page has a nice Lenovo for $900, they make great laptops.

http://www.newegg.com/Laptops-Notebooks/SubCategory/ID-32#

Alienware has one that's around $1000 that I hear is very nice indeed:

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dkcwfy1&model_id=alienware-m14x-r2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
#12 Mar 12 2013 at 10:07 PM Rating: Good
I once got FFXI to run on a netbook.

XI could probably run on a Windows cell phone these days.

XIV's new engine is not nearly as demanding as the 1.0 engine was, but it's still going to require a dedicated graphics card and not an integrated one to put out any kind of performance. The benchmark will not run on my Lenovo laptop with integrated Radeon graphics.

#13REDACTED, Posted: Mar 12 2013 at 10:50 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Don't buy a Dell laptop. I had one as a gift before. They get so hot, I think they're a fire hazard.
#14 Mar 13 2013 at 1:26 AM Rating: Excellent
**
837 posts
Poubelle wrote:
Don't buy a Dell laptop. I had one as a gift before. They get so hot, I think they're a fire hazard.

I'm not exaggerating, I could burn myself on the underside of it.


Well at general i would recommend for any laptop to buy a base with fans and use it allways. If you use the laptop a lot and play games with it you should really do it to avoid any problem with heat. And another thing is never put it on your lap for obvious reasons.
#15 Mar 13 2013 at 2:00 AM Rating: Good
**
641 posts
You should definitely look into getting at least a IPS panel on your laptop with at least 1080p resolution. Most panels are 786p with TN which gives you small viewing angles which is the most common panel to be shipped with laptops and they are utterly rubbish.

If you are looking for a gaming laptop you should look at laptops like Asus G75VW or something similar. Laptops like that are heavy and bulky, but give more bang for the buck when it comes to performance and they will probably not heat up as quickly as a normal laptop.

Edited, Mar 13th 2013 4:35am by Solonuke
#16 Mar 13 2013 at 2:09 AM Rating: Good
**
832 posts
Poubelle wrote:
Don't buy a Dell laptop. I had one as a gift before. They get so hot, I think they're a fire hazard.

I'm not exaggerating, I could burn myself on the underside of it.

That's why, despite the name, you don't set it on your lap. Nor should you really carry it around while it's on. But I can attest to them running pretty warm. I think the highest temp I've seen for my GPU was around 93 C (used a free program called GPU-Z to get the temp reading) while messing around with a few games on my Dell XPS L701x. I did not buy this full price by the way as my friend sold it to me cheap after the HDD failed hard on it.
#17 Mar 13 2013 at 6:21 AM Rating: Excellent
My wife's laptop with integrated graphics (an Asus with an i5) can't run the benchmark, that's why I was steering him away from integrated graphics. A little shopping around will find you something you want within your price range, or possibly a bit higher. If we knew how much you wanted to spend we could help you out, I was going off that $700 figure but if it could be bumped higher at all obviously more options become available.
#18 Mar 13 2013 at 7:29 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,122 posts
Don't buy laptops for heavy gaming from big companies. They take advantage of their customers' lack of knowledge of the actual cost and power of components and you end up having to pay 150-200% what you need to to get the performance you want. Instead it's best to do one's research and get a custom built laptop from a site like http://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/ (where I got mine for about £750, i7 processor. 555m GPU). After a little Googling I see there are similar small companies in the US like http://www.malibal.com/ for example.

I know people say don't get a laptop for gaming but for me it was my only option due to space considerations. Regardless, it's much faster than my 5 year old desktop so I've got no complaints. If a new game won't play well on this, honestly it won't play well on the vast majority of most people's computers which means the developer is at fault (eg. what you saw with FFXIV 1.0). If ARR won't play well on this (or even present day integrated GPUs), well, I don't think there's going to be a very big userbase.

If you don't care about future proofing so much and FFXIV is the most demanding game you plan to play, something less powerful than what I bought will probably be okay. But no point risk wasting money to find out, so wait till it comes out.

Edited, Mar 13th 2013 9:40am by Dizmo
#19REDACTED, Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 11:33 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I didn't have it in my lap, so it wasn't burning me, I'm just saying it was THAT hot where if I held my hand to it, I could probably get burnt up, and again I'm not exaggerating.
#20 Mar 13 2013 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Poubelle wrote:
I didn't have it in my lap, so it wasn't burning me, I'm just saying it was THAT hot where if I held my hand to it, I could probably get burnt up, and again I'm not exaggerating.

I have no idea how it didn't start I fire when I think about it.


That's not just Dells - that's pretty much any laptop that you ask performance of that it wasn't designed for. The nVidia line is designed for lower power consumption and less heat.

The laptop that Wint linked isn't technically a "Dell" either - it's the AW m14x. I have the first gen, and sure it gets warm, but nothing that is unreasonable for a gaming notebook. It also runs Skyrim on high settings and scored very good on high settings with the XIV benchmark. The one he linked is the second gen with stuff that's a step up from what I'm running, and that's a lot of machine for the money. Go ahead and configure those specs at Sager - I shopped around a lot and the prices were comparable enough that in the end I chose the Alienware flash.

If you are going to spend a grand on a notebook, don't spend it on integrated graphics and expect the performance of the rest of the components will compensate. You won't be happy.

#21 Mar 13 2013 at 12:51 PM Rating: Default
the laptop in question did have the latest GeForce laptop card I think, it was sold as a "gaming laptop", and had a lot of RAM and whatnot.

I know laptops do get warm, but I have never felt that the heat of anything but a Dell laptop was actually dangerous.
#22 Mar 13 2013 at 12:57 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Poubelle wrote:
the laptop in question did have the latest GeForce laptop card I think, it was sold as a "gaming laptop", and had a lot of RAM and whatnot.

I know laptops do get warm, but I have never felt that the heat of anything but a Dell laptop was actually dangerous.



Ok but the "latest" geforce card a decade ago and the "latest" geforce card today are worlds apart. You didn't specify what laptop, what components, when it was purchased, or even what model. All you said was "Dell" - which I suppose was specific enough to give you something to post in the thread, but too generic to really be of any value to the discussion.

Edited, Mar 13th 2013 2:57pm by Torrence
#23REDACTED, Posted: Mar 13 2013 at 1:02 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Relax. Are you a Dell exec or something? OP asked if he should get a Dell laptop and my anecdotal evidence is just as good as yours.
#24 Mar 13 2013 at 1:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Poubelle wrote:
jeez, people on this forum are so uncouth.


Wow.
#25 Mar 13 2013 at 1:39 PM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
Poubelle wrote:
jeez, people on this forum are so uncouth.


Wow.


Smiley: laugh
#26 Mar 13 2013 at 1:42 PM Rating: Excellent
**
793 posts
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/stash-1-50c286c3157b7.gif

Edited, Mar 13th 2013 2:43pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.â„¢





« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 113 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (113)